- 1 lb 92% or higher lean ground beef (grass fed grass finished)
- 2 c water or beef broth
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, seeded and minced (or leave the seeds for more heat)
- 1 tbsp. adobo sauce from the can of chipotles (depending on how spicy you’d like)
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- greek yogurt or sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- green onions, chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers and carrots, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the ground beef; raise the heat to high and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until the meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, chipotle and adobo sauce, oregano and salt and pepper. Simmer, partially covered, stirring from time to time, for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and cook, partially covered, 20 minutes longer. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Serve with optional toppings: plain greek yogurt or sour cream, cheddar cheese, green onions.